Evan Thomas – Commercial Loan Officer

June 24th, 2015

Evan Thomas

State Bank of Southern Utah would like to welcome new Commercial Loan Officer Evan Thomas to the River Road branch in St. George. Evan was born and raised in San Dimas, California. Evan attended BYU where he got his bachelors degree in sociology and then went on to Utah State University where he finished with his MBA.

When he is not working at State Bank, Evan enjoys playing golf, basketball, softball, and spending time with his family. In the short amount of time that Evan has been working for State Bank, he has come to enjoy working with his new co-workers in the great culture that surrounds State Bank. He loves the focus on customer relationships and how easy and simple it is to get things done compared to other banks.

Contact Evan for any of your commercial lending needs.



How Tokenization Technology Can Protect You from Fraud

May 7th, 2015


Tokenization of credit cards is the latest buzz-word in security.  One example of Tokenization is in Apple Pay, where your true card number remains hidden during the transaction.  Instead, a temporary number issued by your payment network allows your transaction to be processed without revealing your true card number.   Even if the one-time number is intercepted, it cannot be used for additional transactions.

State Bank of Southern Utah will soon be rolling out tokenization.  To learn more about it, check out the info-graphic below:


Tokenization Banking Security

Steve Barton – Branch Manager

January 23rd, 2015

Steve Barton


Eric Schmutz, President of State Bank of Southern Utah is pleased to announce Steve Barton as the new Orderville Branch Manager.  Steve has strong family roots in the area.  He lived in Orderville when he was young and has spent a lot of memorable time with his family in Long Valley.

Steve graduated from Southern Utah University with a degree in Agriculture Business.  He is involved with herd/farm management with his own 40 head of show ewes and alfalfa farm.  Steve has worked for State Bank of Southern Utah since April in the Credit Service and Loan Support department.

Steve married Angela Yardley from Beaver, Utah in August and they are excited to settle their own roots in Orderville and become involved in the community.

Steve looks forward to helping the residents of Long Valley achieve their financial dreams.  For all your financial needs he can be reached at 648-2216.

Jeremy Andrews – Commercial Loan Officer

January 7th, 2015

Jeremy Andrews

As a commercial loan officer Jeremy Andrews fits right in here at SBSU, with his passion for helping small businesses, and love for hometown spirit.  In his spare time Jeremy appreciates running, mountain biking and many other athletic activities.  Jeremy comes from Price Utah, and has attended CEU, USU and SUU where he obtained his MBA.  While speaking in church one Sunday Jeremy met a wonderful woman named Natalie, some months later they began dating, now the Andrews have been married for 11 ½ years, and they have 4 children.  Jeremy enjoys working here because of “the ability to take care of people”, Jeremy’s goal is to show Southern Utah, just how much simpler life, and loans can be.  We are excited for you to meet Jeremy and see for yourselves just how amazing he is.

Contact Jeremy for any of your Commercial lending needs




Banks and Cybersecurity

December 3rd, 2014

As a Bank we are continually improving our security measures to make sure your investments, and accounts with us are safe.  This is an info-graphic from the American Bankers Association describing the current state of Cybersecurity and what Banks are doing to protect you and your money.


Cybersecurity Infographic



Trever Whittaker – Mortgage Loan Officer

October 1st, 2014

Trever Whittaker

As an avid outdoorsman Trever Whittaker enjoys hunting, snowboarding, four-wheeling, and anything that takes him outside.  Trever comes to us from Richfield Utah, where his father Bret Whittaker is a Chiropractor.

Trever attended school at Snow College and obtained his Bachelors in business, and MBA at Southern Utah University.  While attending SUU Trever met his wife, Anna, where it took as he said “two and a half years to convince her to date him, and one week to convince her to marry him”.

Since beginning work at State Bank in September, Trever has been impressed by the feelings of community and involvement that State Bank exemplifies.  We are excited to have Trever as a part of our team and excited for the contributions he will make towards serving Southern Utah as a part of our Mortgage loan team.

Contact Trever for any of your mortgage lending needs.



How to Get Your Free Credit Report

September 11th, 2014

Free Credit ReportCourtesy of consumer.ftc.gov

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s credit reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to credit reporting companies.

A credit report includes information on where you live, how you pay your bills, and whether you’ve been sued or have filed for bankruptcy. Nationwide credit reporting companies sell the information in your report to creditors, insurers, employers, and other businesses that use it to evaluate your applications for credit, insurance, employment, or renting a home.

Here are the details about your rights under the FCRA, which established the free annual credit report program.

Q: How do I order my free report?

The three nationwide credit reporting companies have set up a central website, a toll-free telephone number, and a mailing address through which you can order your free annual report.

To order, visit annualcreditreport.com, call 1-877-322-8228. Or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. Do not contact the three nationwide credit reporting companies individually. They are providing free annual credit reports only through annualcreditreport.com, 1-877-322-8228 or mailing to Annual Credit Report Request Service.

You may order your reports from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies at the same time, or you can order your report from each of the companies one at a time. The law allows you to order one free copy of your report from each of the nationwide credit reporting companies every 12 months.

A Warning About “Imposter” Websites

Only one website is authorized to fill orders for the free annual credit report you are entitled to under law — annualcreditreport.com. Other websites that claim to offer “free credit reports,” “free credit scores,” or “free credit monitoring” are not part of the legally mandated free annual credit report program. In some cases, the “free” product comes with strings attached. For example, some sites sign you up for a supposedly “free” service that converts to one you have to pay for after a trial period. If you don’t cancel during the trial period, you may be unwittingly agreeing to let the company start charging fees to your credit card.

Some “imposter” sites use terms like “free report” in their names; others have URLs that purposely misspell annualcreditreport.com in the hope that you will mistype the name of the official site. Some of these “imposter” sites direct you to other sites that try to sell you something or collect your personal information.

Annualcreditreport.com and the nationwide credit reporting companies will not send you an email asking for your personal information. If you get an email, see a pop-up ad, or get a phone call from someone claiming to be from annualcreditreport.com or any of the three nationwide credit reporting companies, do not reply or click on any link in the message. It’s probably a scam. Forward any such email to the FTC at spam@uce.gov.

Q: What information do I need to provide to get my free report?

A: You need to provide your name, address, Social Security number, and date of birth. If you have moved in the last two years, you may have to provide your previous address. To maintain the security of your file, each nationwide credit reporting company may ask you for some information that only you would know, like the amount of your monthly mortgage payment. Each company may ask you for different information because the information each has in your file may come from different sources.

Q: Why do I want a copy of my credit report?

A: Your credit report has information that affects whether you can get a loan — and how much you will have to pay to borrow money. You want a copy of your credit report to:

  • make sure the information is accurate, complete, and up-to-date before you apply for a loan for a major purchase like a house or car, buy insurance, or apply for a job.
  • help guard against identity theft. That’s when someone uses your personal information — like your name, your Social Security number, or your credit card number — to commit fraud. Identity thieves may use your information to open a new credit card account in your name. Then, when they don’t pay the bills, the delinquent account is reported on your credit report. Inaccurate information like that could affect your ability to get credit, insurance, or even a job.

Q: How long does it take to get my report after I order it?

A: If you request your report online at annualcreditreport.com, you should be able to access it immediately. If you order your report by calling toll-free 1-877-322-8228, your report will be processed and mailed to you within 15 days. If you order your report by mail using the Annual Credit Report Request Form, your request will be processed and mailed to you within 15 days of receipt.

Whether you order your report online, by phone, or by mail, it may take longer to receive your report if the nationwide credit reporting company needs more information to verify your identity.

Q: Are there any other situations where I might be eligible for a free report?

A: Under federal law, you’re entitled to a free report if a company takes adverse action against you, such as denying your application for credit, insurance, or employment, and you ask for your report within 60 days of receiving notice of the action. The notice will give you the name, address, and phone number of the credit reporting company. You’re also entitled to one free report a year if you’re unemployed and plan to look for a job within 60 days; if you’re on welfare; or if your report is inaccurate because of fraud, including identity theft. Otherwise, a credit reporting company may charge you a reasonable amount for another copy of your report within a 12-month period.

To buy a copy of your report, contact:

Q: Should I order a report from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies?

A: It’s up to you. Because nationwide credit reporting companies get their information from different sources, the information in your report from one company may not reflect all, or the same, information in your reports from the other two companies. That’s not to say that the information in any of your reports is necessarily inaccurate; it just may be different.

Q: Should I order my reports from all three of the nationwide credit reporting companies at the same time?

A: You may order one, two, or all three reports at the same time, or you may stagger your requests. It’s your choice. Some financial advisors say staggering your requests during a 12-month period may be a good way to keep an eye on the accuracy and completeness of the information in your reports.

Q: What if I find errors — either inaccuracies or incomplete information — in my credit report?

A: Under the FCRA, both the credit report­ing company and the information provider (that is, the person, company, or organization that provides information about you to a consumer reporting company) are responsible for correcting inaccurate or incomplete information in your report. To take full advantage of your rights under this law, contact the credit reporting company and the information provider.

1. Tell the credit reporting company, in writing, what information you think is inaccurate.

Credit reporting companies must investigate the items in question — usually within 30 days — unless they consider your dispute frivolous. They also must forward all the relevant data you provide about the inaccuracy to the organization that provided the information. After the information provider receives notice of a dispute from the credit reporting company, it must investigate, review the relevant information, and report the results back to the credit reporting company. If the information provider finds the disputed information is inaccurate, it must notify all three nationwide credit reporting companies so they can correct the information in your file.

When the investigation is complete, the credit reporting company must give you the written results and a free copy of your report if the dispute results in a change. (This free report does not count as your annual free report.) If an item is changed or deleted, the credit reporting company cannot put the disputed information back in your file unless the information provider verifies that it is accurate and complete. The credit reporting company also must send you written notice that includes the name, address, and phone number of the information provider.

2. Tell the creditor or other information provider in writing that you dispute an item. Many providers specify an address for disputes. If the provider reports the item to a credit reporting company, it must include a notice of your dispute. And if you are correct — that is, if the information is found to be inaccurate — the information provider may not report it again.

Q: What can I do if the credit reporting company or information provider won’t correct the information I dispute?

A: If an investigation doesn’t resolve your dispute with the credit reporting company, you can ask that a statement of the dispute be included in your file and in future reports. You also can ask the credit reporting company to provide your state­ment to anyone who received a copy of your report in the recent past. You can expect to pay a fee for this service.

If you tell the information provider that you dispute an item, a notice of your dispute must be included any time the information provider reports the item to a credit reporting company.

Q: How long can a credit reporting company report negative information?

A: A credit reporting company can report most accurate negative information for seven years and bankruptcy information for 10 years. There is no time limit on reporting information about crimi­nal convictions; information reported in response to your application for a job that pays more than $75,000 a year; and information reported because you’ve applied for more than $150,000 worth of credit or life insurance. Information about a lawsuit or an unpaid judgment against you can be reported for seven years or until the statute of limitations runs out, which­ever is longer.

Q: Can anyone else get a copy of my credit report?

A: The FCRA specifies who can access your credit report. Creditors, insurers, employers, and other businesses that use the information in your report to evaluate your applications for credit, insurance, em­ployment, or renting a home are among those that have a legal right to access your report.

Q: Can my employer get my credit report?

A: Your employer can get a copy of your credit report only if you agree. A credit reporting company may not provide information about you to your employer, or to a prospective employer, without your written consent.

Crooks Want Your Money

July 23rd, 2014

Bank Fraud


Read About How They Get It – They Need Your Help

Counterfeit Checks

The Grand Prize Winner

A man opens his mail and finds a check for $3500 along with a congratulatory letter stating that he won the sweepstakes.  The man is told to deposit the check and wait three days for the bank to release the funds.  Afterwards, he is to transfer most of the money somewhere to pay taxes via Western Union or Green Dot.

The Secret/Mystery Shopper

A lady answers a “Help Wanted” ad and gets a job as a secret shopper. She receives a check along with a list of where to shop and how much to spend.   She notices that a money transfer service is on the list (usually Western Union, Green Dot or Money Gram).  She is instructed to transfer a large portion of the check back to her new boss while taking notes on the competence and friendliness of the staff.

Online Sale Overpayment

A lady places an ad for a desk she wants to sell online.   She gets a check by overnight mail from a person who has always wanted a desk just like the one advertised.  However, the check is written for more than the asking price.   She contacts the buyer and is told to transfer the overpayment via Western Union or Green Dot to another individual who will transport the desk to Canada.


Banking 101: What to Do With a Substitute Check

June 13th, 2014


What is a Substitute Check?

A substitute check is an official image and the legal equivalent of a paper check (original) as long as it includes the following statement:

“This is a legal copy of your check.  You can use it the same way you would use the original check”. (more…)

Teresa Holmes – Construction Loan Officer

May 30th, 2014

Teresa Holmes Construction Loan OfficerTeresa Holmes, a Construction Loan Officer, has worked for State Bank of Southern Utah for 14 years.  Although she was born in Gunnison, Utah, Teresa calls Cedar City home, where she has lived her whole life and has since raised a family.  Teresa has two daughters, one son and is the lucky grandmother of four grandchildren.  Teresa’s oldest daughter currently works alongside her here at State Bank.  In her free time, Teresa enjoys taking walks, reading, and sewing.  Her favorite part about working at State Bank are the customers and her co-workers.

Contact Teresa for any of your construction lending needs!